Wednesday, September 3, 2008

the Pantry Pickin' Continues...

From the freezer:
Wild caught Yellow Fin Tuna Steaks
Pantry and fridge staples:
lemons
onion
olives
eggs (hard boiled)
capers
dijon mustard
salt and pepper
sourdough bread
Garden Fresh:
green beans
fresh thyme, garlic chives, oregano and basil
tomatoes
oak leaf lettuce
english cucumber
Season tuna steaks with olive oil, lemon juice, chopped herbs, salt and pepper and grill on a bed of flowering oregano. While fish is grilling, make a basic vinaigrette dressing of 3/4 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup lemon juice and a tablespoon of dijon mustard
Then build a Nicoise Salad starting with a bed of the lettuce, topping with hard boiled eggs, quartered tomatoes, sliced cuke, blanched green beans, olives, minced onion and a final sprinkle with capers. Grilled tuna goes in the center. Drizzle liberally with the lemony vinaigrette, more chopped herbs, salt and pepper. I was missing the classic French addition of small new potatoes in my pantry...but instead added a few cubes of my favorite locally made sourdough bread to sop up the vinaigrette. oh my, we were very happy and satisfied with this meal! I could easily eat it every night... Maybe substituting with grilled chicken next time. The MAN is very content to be the recipient of my self-induced pantry pickin' blog challenge. Even patiently waiting for photo finishing before diving in. There was plenty leftover for lunch tomorrow although I haven't tired of tomato sandwiches, yet.Happy to report: still no run to the 'store for more'...but I must admit to the purchase of a new loaf of the bread today. However, I bought it at the CSA farm shed, not at the store.
I love loopholes...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails