Tuesday, July 1, 2008

No Wurst for the Wear...

Little time for blogging this week as I am spending days at the Kutztown Folk Festival...no need to load up the Farm at Coventry wagon, though. This week, I am putting on my other hat, or should I say bonnet?! The Three Sisters Center for the Healing Arts was invited to have a seat in the big tent this year which is a very big honor. This festival is the big time! Here is mei 'Schweschder' , Jesse who has been talking up a blue streak about the PA German healing tradition known as powwow, or Braucherei, in the dialect. Too bad they spelled it wrong on our sign...guess nobody in Berks County will notice that misspelling...yeah, right. Anyway , just thought I might share a few images from the festival. I gotta run. Time to braid my hair, pin on my skirt and pick enough lavender to keep my hands busy while I talk.toottoot! first stop for kansas jenny....grilled brat and kraut with sweet potato fries...mmmmmmThe famous Claypoole hex signs...bought my first yesterdayAcres of quilts in the quilt barn...be still my heartLike a gut Deitsch woman, ending the day cooking "fleesch" for the family...couldn't come home without it

7 comments:

kansasrose said...

OMG suebabe this looks and sounds like nirvana. You all look adorable in the blouse and dirndles, braids. How are the brats? Apfle struedal? Beergartens? Weinerschenitzal? btw...are those hex signs for sale? Dang I'd love to get one...are their special signs for wheat farmers? May I inquire as to the price? :) As an almost 100% Germanic ancestory farmwoman maybe there is hex for my kind of farm. Have a frothy mug of wheat ale for me. OMP-PAH!

Susan Hess said...

Jenny, click on the Claypoole hex sign image and you will see a closeup of the sign prices. When I go, I'll looky see for any wheat paintings. He is just down from us a few paces. All of those foods you listed are pure German eats, not PA German. Think shoo-fly, funnelcakes, chicken corn noodle soup, apple dumplings and ring bologna...and beer. yeah.More pics tomorrow!

Aunt Jenny said...

Oh how fun!!! I loved the German tradition and foods when I lived in Minnesota years ago...here in our area it is all Scandinavian all the time..haha. I am a big old mixture myself..no German OR scandinavian though alas.
Boy those foods Jenny mentioned sound wonderful!!
Have fun!! I loved seeing the hex signs too...love them!!

kansasrose said...

Does the hex sign maker have a web site hon? Maybe I should google him? Sounds like PA Deutch is different than regular German? Need to read more on it...:) fascinatin' ( hey my momma made apple dumplin's and we ate that bologna link saugage!)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get there this weekend!!
Great pics!! =)

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Looks like a lot of fun!

Its good to put a face to name you see on the screen!

Denise in TN

Unknown said...

Those pics are wonderful! Looks like such fun. I've fallen in love with the rooster hex sign...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails